Eidos Montreal have spoken for the first time about the next-gen Thief sequel in a Game Informer video, along with announcing of the game’s status as Game Informer’s April 2013 cover story. The game will be releasing on PC, PS4 and “other next-gen platforms” in 2014. According to Game Informer, Thief sees series hero Garrett return to the original game’s industrial, gothic setting, where he will “steal any and everything that will make him richer.”
“the City is broiling with social tension as it is ravaged by a plague and lorded over by a political tyrant known as the Baron.” read Game Informer’s preview, in part, “In order to survive his adventures, Garrett will have to pay attention to his environment and make use of the may possible paths through each of the game’s levels.”
A list of details from the Game Informer preview (courtesy Gaming Everything) can be found below:
- Garrett is not a fighter, so taking on four or more guards in combat will end badly.
- Guards and NPCs are aware of level design, so they know where a person might try to hide, and guards understand the topography of levels and which areas could be useful for hiding.
- Different NPCs will look for Garrett in different ways.
- The dev team wants players to explore environments as they see fit, each room has multiple exits and entrances allowing for multiple options of approach.
- Garrett’s hideout can be decorated with artifacts which are scattered throughout levels
- The player can spend money to upgrade supplies and equipment at the end of each mission
- “Focus” mechanic can be used to aid Garrett’s vision to light up the screen and highlight pipes you can climb, candles you can put out. Focus is also upgradeable giving you a greater radius of things to see.
- Every drawer is accessible, and a fingerprint system gives hints as to which drawers are best to look in.
- Garrett’s tools include: The Blackjack, used to knock guards unconscious when sneaking up behind them.
- Bow, very powerful and can be used outside of combat (e.g. Fire at a bottle in another room to lure a guard away.)
- Specialty Arrows, dry-ice arrow to put out flames from far away, smoke arrow can be used as cover and a distraction.
- Claw, acts as a grapple which attaches to certain points.
Report filed by Thomas Coutts