An EA spokesperson has told CVG that they are currently in the process of eliminating its Online Passes from existing titles. The company announced earlier this month it wanted to discontinue the program due to negative feedback from users.
“Players will see it first with some EA Sports titles, where a prompt to enter an Online Pass code will no longer appear in-game”, the spokesperson said, in part. “with other titles we are simply making Online Passes available free of charge online.”
A user on NeoGAF has also spotted that EA has already made some Online Passes for Xbox 360 games free on the Xbox Live Marketplace.
The passes that are now free include:
- Alice: Madness Returns – American McGee’s Alice (the first game in the Alice series, accessible through the disc, was originally 800 Microsoft Points)
- Battlefield Bad Company 2 – VIP (was 800 MSP)
- Bulletstorm Online Pass (was 800 MSP)
- Dragon Age: Origins – The Stone Prisoner (was 1200 MSP)
- Dragon Age 2: The Black Emporium (was 800 MSP)
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Online Pass (was 800 MSP)
- Mass Effect 2: Cerberus Network (was 1200 MSP)
- Medal of Honor Online Pass (was 800 MSP)
- Skate 3: Skate Share Pack (was 800 MSP)